Trademark Registered for Your Brand in U.A.E.
Brand protection is of the most importance. And is one of the most effective ways you can protect your brand name. Yet your intellectual Property registration in U.A.E., copyright, trademark, or patent registration can be exigent at top. Searching for a legal practitioner who is knowledgeable in the methodology necessary for trademark registration in Dubai, U.A.E. The time frame takes a period of labor for almost two (2) to (3) months in time.
We, Al Raqeem Intellectual Property, is one of the best IP consulting to provide you the paperwork to get a Trademark Registered in UAE.
• Seek consultation in one of the IP Firm for the confirmation or assurance that your preferred brand/service name belongs in the Trademark Industry.
• You can request conduct availability search first before you proceed to file the application (it is optional only), to make sure that the proposed mark is available for registration to avoid future conflict. You can check the availability of your proposed mark in the Ministry to check whether anyone has already registered an identical or similar trademark for the same or similar goods or services. Once it’s free for registration, you can proceed to file your trademark application in the Ministry.
• After conducting an availability search, we can now prepare the documents and procedures for filing the application. (Please indicate if it’s under company or personal name, brief details of your brand or services and classification belongs).
1. Notarized POA
2. Trade License
3. Emirates, Passport & Visa Copy
• After the filing procedure, we will wait for the decisions of the Ministry for the acceptance of the trademark. Once the Ministry sends the acceptance decision, it will be published in two local Arabic newspapers and in Trademark Journal for 30 days and subject to opposition, if there is no grievance with the application within 30 days the Ministry of the Economy will issue the Certificate of Registration.
Once your trademark application has been filed, it will go under examination. Once accepted by the Trademark Examiner, your application will be advertised in the Newspaper & Official Gazette which will be open for opposition or objection by a third party for a period of 30 days. If there are no objections received during the said period, your trademark will be registered. A certificate of registration will be issued by the Ministry of Economy which will be valid for 10 years from the date of filing and it is also renewable for a similar period.
Once your trademark is registered in U.A.E.it will cover the seven (7) emirates and protected for 10 years (renewable & transferable).
4 Simple Steps on How to Register a Trademark
1. Power of Attorney
About the Power of Attorney, we can help you fill-up the form, just send the following document:
• Company Trade license.
• Passport Copy and Emirates ID of the Signatory.
We will send it back to you with the POA with our attached Trade license.
In U.A.E., we need to notarize the POA in the notary public and if you are in another country, we need to legalize it up to the U.A.E. consulate.
2. Logo or wordmark
Send us a copy of the logo or wordmark that you want to register.
3. Classification of Trademark.
Classification in the trademark is divided into 45 classes. In class 1 to 34 is for the goods/product and the 35 to 45 is for the services. In order to determine in which class, you want register you trademark, send us the list of product/ services that you want to use of the trademark.
In U.A.E.we adopt a single filing system therefore, a separate application should be filed with respect to each class of goods/services.
4. Pay the Advance Payment
The advanced payment is covering the filing up to publication in the newspaper and the official gazette of the Ministry of Economy Trademark Office. Once our application is file and there is no rejection in the government side (under examination stage) and no opposition in 3rd party (publication stage), the ministry of the economy will notify us to pay the final payment to get the registration certificate.
Also Read: Can we use of another’s trademark?
We can file now the trademark once we complete all the necessary documents online.
Summarized procedures for Trademark Registration
1. Complete the required documents
A. Notarized Power of Attorney
B. Trade License of the company
C. Passport copy of the Managing Director
D. Trademark logo
2. Filing the application
– Submitting all the required documents and paying the filing fees in TMO for the issuance of the filing particulars. (filing number & Filing date)
– The application will be examined, whereby the examiner will assess whether the concerned trademark is distinctive and non-descriptive in relation to the goods and/or services claimed in the application, the examiner will also review the previously filed/registered trademark in the same class that is considered identical or confusingly similar will be cited against the newer application.
An examination report is then issued whereby the examiner may either:
– Request some additional information/documentation
– Accept the application without any conditions.
– Accept the application provided that the applicant disclaims some exclusive rights.
– Reject the application.
In all of these cases, a response or an appeal may be filed contesting the decision and further
documentation and evidence may be submitted in support of the argument made.
4. Publication for opposition
Once the application is accepted, the trademark will be published in the following in 30 days for third party opposition:
A. Trade Journal
B. Two Local Arabic Newspaper
If an opposition is filed, the applicant will then have to submit a counter-statement in that regard and
will usually have to attend a hearing at the TMO.
– In the absence, if any opposition, the application will be mature for registration, final registration fees to be settled and the certificate of registration would then be issue thereafter which will be valid for 10 years protection.